It is believed the Carthaginians founded Alvor and its history is interesting. It is said by some that it was really the site of “Portus Hannibalis”. The Romans gave it the name Ipses and it was considered an important port and was allowed to issue its own money. Its importance is confirmed by the ruins of a wealthy Roman villa located slightly inland from the present village. In the time of the Moors, who first occupied the area in 716, they gave it the named of “Albur” and the village passed through both the Portuguese and Moors hands several times until 1250 when the Christians conquered it for the final time. In the month of May in 1189 a fleet of 40 Crusader boats on route for the Holy Land had been persuaded by the Portuguese King Sancho to besiege the city of Silves. On there way they successfully raided the castle of Alvor and slaughtered its inhabitants which is recorded as killing in the region of 2.500 men, women and children. Alvor was again occupied by the Moors and was later in 1250 taken by the forces of King Afonso III. The protecting walls of the village and castle were reinforced in 1300. King João II, who is regarded in history as an outstanding king is recorded as dying within the town walls from a prolonged illness in 1495. Most of the original village and its castle was destroyed in the earthquakes of 1532 and 1755.
Although this ancient coastal village is now a very popular holiday location the enclosed narrow streets have kept development to a minimum. Many of these streets now boast bars with live music and different types of restaurants, however leading off from these there are still memories of the older fishing village. In the area are a number of holiday resorts from which the tourists enjoy visiting it and its attractions. The village is well located facing a natural lagoon opening onto the sea. There is a choice of a long open sandy beach or a number of small coves tucked under the cliffs. The originally 16th Century Parish Church was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1755 and still has a prime example in its main doorway of the great craftsmanship of the Manueline era of architecture. It was the only building that more or less survived from the earthquake.
Places near to Alvor are the commercial town of Portimão, the famous popular beaches of Praia da Rocha and Praia da Vau, and the semi-nature reserve of Quinta da Rocha.
Faro Airport Transfers Algarve with Perfectomorrow.