The village of Praia da Luz dates back to Roman times. A Roman bath complex and fish salting tanks have been found very close to the shore. Fishing, including octopus potting through the centuries has been the predominant occupation in the village. In the early 1960’s this quiet sheltered village was chosen by an English couple to develop a residential park for fellow countrymen. They were soon followed by other foreigners who acquired the old cottages to convert for holiday occupation and the once upon a time small village is now a popular holiday destination.
The beach is of an intermediate size and enjoys a Blue Flag with two distinct zones. A white sandy curved area characteristic of the region and the rocky zone which borders directly to the sea. The sea water is clean and tends to be transparent but the temperature is somewhat variable and cooler and slightly windier than neighbouring Lagos. The temperatures are agreeably cool at night in mid summer. Day time temperatures are pleasantly warm but Praia da Luz is far enough West that daily temperatures remain in the region of 35 degrees Celsius.
The village church named Nossa Senhora da Luz was badly damaged in 1755 earthquake but was later restored. There are a choice of restaurants that provide international dishes including Italian, Indian and a number of local Portuguese restaurants. There is a popular supermarket in the village which sells a good range of food including some local organic foods and imports. The Post Office and a cash dispenser are in Rua Direita whilst the bus stop and taxi rank are by the village church.
To the east and about 6 kilometres is the main historic town of Lagos with is ancient walls and its history having played an important part in the story of discovery of many parts of the world. It was from Lagos that Vasco da Gama sailed in 1499 on his epic voyage of discovery. Lagos was the capital of the Algarve from 1578 until 1756 and there remain several ancient buildings to testify to its former historic glory. From its Port maritime expeditions were embarked upon to discover the world at the orders of Prince Henry the Navigator.
To the west is the small fishermen’s beach village of Burgau. Moving even further west is another small village of Salema. Here will be found some small Roman ruins proving the existence of its past history. Furthest west is the town is Vila do Bispo which is a small administrative town for the Sagres area.
Faro Airport Transfers Algarve with Perfectomorrow.